MJ's List of Comfort Food

The word "dining" spells out happy memories and special experiences for me. Since my childhood, we have this family tradition of going places and spending quality time on Sundays. It can be a simple trip to the nearby resort, spa, park, or to the mall then we would go to special dining places once in a while. An unforgettable restaurant is the Singing Cooks and Waiters Ihaw-Ihaw Kalde-Kaldero formerly along Quezon Avenue. Aside from mom's cooking, I believe that eating there cultivated my love and appreciation of seafood.

As I have grown up and widened my own dining experiences, it's my turn to encourage mom and dad to try new places and dishes. Usually, they would ask to go back to these places, but there are also times when they wouldn't like the food as much as I do. This happened with Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese food.

Top of mind, here are four establishments that comprise our list of favorites:

1. Nomnomnom Happy Food

Though tucked in the basement of a building on the corner of Tomas Morato and E.Rodriguez, I learned about their happy food through my happy friend Meline. She loves to hang out in dining places and would share her delicious discoveries.

www.facebook.com/nomhappyfood

I would go back for V.S.T. (Very Succulent Tomatoes) which are stuffed with spinach, shiitake, button mushrooms, cheddar, mozzarella and blue cheese. Oh what a heavenly, cheesy treat that's served with balsamic vinegar and crostini!

Aside from this appetizer, we have tried their Clam Pasta (with white wine), Seafood Cartoccio (with shrimps, clams and squid), Malinomnom (pizza log with tinapa, kesong puti, red egg, onion), and my mom's favorite, Pizza Margherita (mozzarella, fresh basil, and tomatoes).

2. Chocolate Kiss Cafe
Devil's Food Cake

Kahlua Butter Cake
https://www.facebook.com/thechocolatekiss
I remember taking advantage of their eat-all-you-can dessert promo at the Roces branch a long time ago. I was only able to go there once since we always visit the Bahay ng Alumni branch within the UP Diliman campus. My all-time favorites are the two cakes here, paired with a cup of Cuppuccino. For a sumptuous and affordable treat, try their Pasta Margarita too.

3. Sophie's Mom

It was my friend Gianne who introduced Sophie's Mom when she gave me a box of beautiful and tasty cupcakes as a birthday present. After tasting red velvet cupcakes from other bakeshops, I think theirs still stands out.

https://www.facebook.com/sophiesmomonline?fref=ts
3. Mary Grace Cafe

When it comes to pasta, I usually prefer white sauce and would seldom eat meatballs. But Mary Grace converted me through its Pasta Amatriciana with Italian Meatballs. I also love their Seafood Pasta: "A medley of fresh clams, shrimp, squid, mussels, and cream dory (lending) their flavors to a tomato-based sauce enhanced with herbs, olives, and mushrooms."

Mom and dad would always request cake slices to top our meal so our first bet was the Mango Bene: "Frozen layers of meringue with custard cream and sweet mangoes in between." Just recently, we didn't hesitate to try their new addition, Limone Santi. It's another frozen cake with lemon filling, graham cracker crust, and a cream topping.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Grace-Cafe/111676555513146

Truth be told, I appreciate these more when dining with my family than when devouring the goodies alone. And when with friends and tasting something awesome, I think to myself, "I better bring mom and dad here sometime." Really, God's blessings become even better when shared.
Click to add a blog post for The Chocolate Kiss Cafe on Zomato
Click to add a blog post for Mary Grace on Zomato

Comments

Popular Posts