Memories with the ASEAN Delegates

I spent the last three days in the gathering of ASEAN delegates to the preparatory meeting for a competition that our country will proudly host this year. This project, I think, would be one of my most-loved endeavors and another reason for celebrating being part of NBN.

Wednesday night, Ate Regine and I fetched Mr. Has Sam Ath of Cambodia. It was a nice chat with him, with us laughing whenever “running out of English” becomes a problem. It was a long trip from the NAIA, with the rain and EDSA traffic before reaching Imperial Suites. So good conversation starters like these save the day: “On your left is the EDSA shrine” and “Ooh, do you manufacture cars? In Cambodia, we don’t. This vehicle is in good condition. (Referring to the network’s Toyota Innova)” Ha ha ha. Here is another one-of-a-kind exchange:

Him: Your features are like that of a Cambodian.
Me: Male or female, Sir?
Him: Female, of course. (laughs)
Me: Is this considered beautiful in your country?
Him: (Laughs)
Me: Just kidding!
Him: Yes, yes, of course that’s beautiful.

Ate Regine asked about the meaning of his name and he replied “Clean. Without any corruption.” I told him that we will check his baggage afterwards.

With Mr. Has Sam Ath occupying the highest level among all the delegates, we believe that he’s a nice man who’s fun to be with. I was actually seated beside him during the welcome dinner and I was also one of his “alleged tour guides” during free time / shopping at Kultura. We’re both not good at remembering names, but I told him that Has Sam Ath will definitely be remembered… as the man who does not dance or play golf well. Hihihi.

Mr. Vorasack Pravongviengkham of Laos is also admirable for his thoughtfulness, buying pasalubong for his mother and sisters. He let me choose the beach dresses that he bought while Ate Sol guided him with the bracelets. I wish his family would not read this before he comes back to their country. I heard he’s also crush ng bayan.

I’m including in my list of most memorable Mr. Nguyen Hong Ha from Vietnam. Though the language difference made it hard at times, he has definitely left a mark. Especially because we fetched him at 4:00 am from NAIA without a pass whatsoever. Afraid of losing him, I just requested the guard to page and held a bond paper with his name. When he arrived, Ate Regine said “Mukhang Vietnamese! Maliit lang na guy at maliit lang din ang maleta. ‘Yan na nga!” Then he went towards us.

I gotta go and check out his blog. And add two delegates in my facebook.

P.S. I hope our gentlemen from Brunei will not just remember me as the lady who kept reminding them about the change from the plane fare reimbursement. ;o) Being recalled as the lady in front of the van who had difficulty conversing with them at the back (but still tried) is… Okay, preferable.

Popular Posts