Restoring my Sense of Taste and Smell


On August 12, I had my Rubella test and urinalysis as part of my pregnancy lab work. Soon as we were leaving the clinic, I told my husband that I felt like catching the flu. The Sunday morning following that, I lost my sense of taste and smell.

It was frustrating. It wasn't like losing your sense of taste when you have clogged nose. In instances when I had the regular flu, I could still taste food at times when my nose would temporarily clear up. But in this recent experience, it was really zero. Even while doing the laundry, I couldn't smell the detergent.

On the tenth day of my symptoms, I decided to have a medical teleconsultation. The doctor couldn't rule out COVID-19 so she asked me to have an RT-PCR Test. What I dreaded came on August 25: It was positive. There were mild symptoms at the time, but because I'm pregnant, all I was worried about is our baby.

But with God's grace, I am on the road to recovery in this 14-day quarantine. There was fear that it's going to take longer before I could smell or taste anything. But even without medicines or drastic measures, I am now able to (though not totally). All I did was have enough sleep, eat citrus fruits, take Virgin Coconut Oil, drink hot ginger tea with lemon, and smell essential oils.

I'm writing about this experience because losing your sense of taste is one of the most common COVID symptoms. Again, it is unique and more severe as the loss is complete and longer than usual. While going through it, luckily I didn't lose my appetite. Food appreciation was just by texture ("Hmmm, sarap! Malambot at makinis ang tinapay!").

And so if you've read up to this point, don't take things for granted. The simple ability to taste your food is something to be thankful for.

Comments

Popular Posts