Simplicity is Beauty



Lately I’ve been more into reading than writing. Specifically, what attracted me during my free time is to hop from one blog to another after reading articles at inquirer.net. This has become a daily routine which I don’t have plans of letting go anytime soon, especially because the blogosphere leads me to new discoveries that boil down to this realization – It is really fun being a girl and there are a lot to explore / try out.

The title of this blog post is meant for my personal beauty regimen, which, since I started this blog in 2005, has seldom if totally not been part of my archives. This is ironic, since I’ve worked for a lifestyle show (with Monday episodes meant for beauty, fashion, and careers) within three years as a scriptwriter. But I would often attribute this to the fact that after writing and voicing my scripts, I would often skip translating them into this blog. Hence, the line after the blog title: Taking a break from scriptwriting and getting the chance to finally… write.

But having looked at other bloggers’ articles on beauty products, I couldn’t help but notice how simple and thrift mine have been in the past years. And it’s made up of:

1. Paint Box Nutrilips from Herbench. With SPF 15 and Shea Butter, this lipstick in Dreamy Pink is what I use for daily wear. It comes with a nice and neat transparent case with metallic pink container. A pretty fun yet safe color, it is something that I could recommend for teens and twenteens like me. ;-)


Though willing to try, my heart does not seem to be prepared to shift to expensive lipsticks (with expensive defined as 1,000 and up). Included on my list of to-try products are Revlon colorstay, Mac, and Loreal endless lipcolour. Once, I tried samples at Shiseido but realized that the same results could be achieved using cheaper alternatives so I left the booth empty-handed. But let's still wait and see if I'll be convinced by other brands in the days to come.

2. Shimmer Cubes from The Body Shop. This collection of four shadows for the eyes is something that can be used for everyday wear and even special occasions, depending on your style of application. I would often combine two shades, with the darker one applied first on the lower layer. Host Issa Litton suggests to lightly smudge the color in an upward direction leaning to the outer sides to achieve a nicer effect.

3. Longest Lashes Ever by Avon. One end has the fiber base while the other tip is for the fiber infused mascara. Already endowed with long and thick lashes, I seldom use this product and would often reserve it for night-outs. A friend says it only depends on the brand, but I confirmed that using mascara often contributes to darker circles under my eyes. I remember a previous officemate also having the same issue.

4. Repairing Sealing Serum from Davines. With cherry oil, this serum is for long and damaged hair. It promises to mellow split ends, and may be applied to the ends of dry hair after styling. But due to an unexplained laziness, I seldom use this too.

5. Vitamin E Face Mist from The Body Shop. Has panthenol to soften the face and rosewater to refresh. Even the laziest person wouldn’t mind having a quick spray, but may still think twice of carrying it along to work. Hehe

6. Love Spell from Victoria’s Secret. Of the six things listed here, this is something that I use on a regular basis. Favoring its calming, light scent of cherry blossom, peach, and white jasmine, I would certainly buy again when the 250 mL bottle runs out. Just pour the contents into a smaller container so you don’t have to carry the bulky container inside your work bag every time.

It may be said that the theme of my kikay kit is “Find the one that suits you, and stick to it.” I am not as adventurous as the others when it comes to beauty products partially due to sensitive skin just like mom’s. And maybe this is also the reason why we hesitate to invest on expensive products, when we’ve already found what’s hiyang.

You might be wondering why I have not included any brand of foundation on my list. Honestly, I have not found The One yet. Currently, I use Block & White’s face powder in natural shade, after realizing that Cover Girl is not for me.

People would also often ask me about facial wash but they would be surprised that I only use  Johnson and Johnson’s soap with Lactomelis Plus (which retails at Php 16 I guess). Cetaphil is also something that can be recommended safe for daily use.

Last Saturday, we had our company outing and here are just some of the contents of my travel bag:

Nivea is a brand I loved and trusted all these years. Their Sensitive Balance Cleansing Make up Remover is also something I use nightly for impurities. Remember: Never sleep with makeup on.

Popular Posts