Lessons 2007

What a good way to begin 2008 – talking with my best friend as we assessed the year gone by. After media noche, we stayed up ‘til 3. I told her that what made me happy this year is the fact that I have successfully let go of the things that I thought would be impossible to live without. We both have realized our potential, strength, willpower, and heart.

Year 2007 has these important teachings:
1. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it’s the only way to live life completely.
2. The greater a person’s sense of guilt, the greater his need to cast blame on others.
3. There are two kinds of people: Givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.
4. We are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel. We have the right to be angry, but that doesn’t give us the right to be cruel.
5. Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
6. Talk slow but think quick.
7. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles these three things: a rainy day,
lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
8. Silent company is often more healing than words of advice.
9. If someone says something unkind about you, live the opposite so that no one will believe it.
10. If you focus on your family, the needs of others, your work, meeting new people, and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.
11. Whenever I decide something with kindness, I usually make the right decision.
12. Even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.
13. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
14. There are people who are trained to speak and those who are trained to shut up.
15. Speak up if you have something sensible and vital to say.
16. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
17. Never laugh at anyone’s dreams.
18. Not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
19. Love has its own time, its own seasons and its own reason for coming and going.
20. The classic way of handling adversity: Shake it off and step up.
21. Language leads to power. To optimize your levels of inspiration and motivation, be conscious of the creative potential of the language you use on a daily basis. –Steve Chandler, in “100 Ways to Motivate Yourself”
22. In God’s wise and loving plan, no burden can fall upon me, no emergency can arise, no grief can overtake me, before I am given the grace and strength to meet them.
23. I can never lose anything that belongs to me, nor can I possess what is not really mine.
24. Never run from a problem. Either it will chase you or you will run into another just like it.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Emeline Andrade, the best friend who helped me put the past behind. She, at the same time, understood when I had to hold on to it a little longer. Aside from that, she gave a daily dose of funny and striking ideas that contributed to my blog. So much that she already demands attribution.

Popular Posts