Belting Out

I remember Week 1 of my job. It all started from a segment that airs every Monday and Friday. Then came two one-hour programs. Gradually, I adapted and thought every now and then that it’ll be impossible if something would be added on. I always thought that my current workload is already a struggle for me to accept more tasks. But I’ve proven myself wrong ‘coz I eventually learned that there would always be a room for adjustment. For instance when I was assigned another program, I seldom join the team in shooting outside, like for fashion shows and restaurant openings (except on weekends). I just write spiels for a taping or preview the tapes and write my VTR features. But of course, something is sacrificed. It’s a different script if I were actually there to witness the scene.

Oh, I see that it can be done. And more came: An AVP, then the paper works for an international project. I made more correspondences each day.

I kept coming back to that place… where there are fears, tears, and doubt. Fear because I don’t know what’s in store for me. I lack assurance. Fear is due to the unknown. Tears because often, hard work does not seem enough and every time you give it your best shot, more responsibilities come. Doubt because I wanted to say “yes” to everything and not to give up without trying. I keep hearing people say that I’m the favorite. But wait, have I reached my limit?

Earlier I was asked if I could take on another program that airs earlier than She Ka. I aired my concerns but my boss and I agreed to test the waters first and see what can be done later. I told her I was nervous and implied that the quality of work might suffer.

I love my job. But what transpires inside the office and among our people bring me down. Do you just stare blankly when co-workers resign for reasons you fully understand and experience first-hand? Are you able to keep that smile when every time you attempt to do your daily routine, something comes up and prevents you from accomplishing lined up tasks? How about meetings for upcoming projects? Please help me not to make this sound like griping or ranting.

I know I seem helpless. It’s a feeling that comes only when you’re so much in love. How will I know if it’s time “to move on,” as my dad suggests?

Asked if I’m also gonna resign, I jokingly told officemates that I still dream about being the manager of our department someday. We laughed our hearts out and imagined Ate Machelle being “Doc Mac.” It was past office hours.

Popular Posts