A Happy Personality

Have you ever been asked about your secret to staying blooming and resilient despite any challenging situation? Did you just embrace freedom and the excitement to try new things after a heartache that tormented you for long? Then you might just happen to stop, smile, and realize that you are reaping the benefits of one happy personality.

Proudly, I claim to be among those who pick positivity among other options. I count on it as the shining light from deep within, which nobody can take away from you. It’s the ever-reliable mechanism that serves as a balm to your wounds and shields your heart from being broken further into pieces. It will also allow you to manage troubles even when alone, when your close friends are busy in their own struggles.

Having a happy personality does not mean being free of sadness or the events that cause such feeling. You can still get hurt, cry for a moment, or miss someone so badly. But it enables you to carry through it all and still see each day worth celebrating.

If you’d get a chance to visit our home, you’ll see notes posted on my desk: Must-haves when going to work, contents of my workout bag, list of shoes and bags to match occasions, and little notes with inspirational / happy notes like “A smile attracts more smiles” and “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

I remember my supervisor coaching somebody and saying that it’s better to get motivation from within than from external rewards like financial returns or recognition. Looking back, I felt rewarded most of the time because of a job well done (knowing I gave my best effort and the fruits were good) and knowing that I made my parents happy.

Stressed? We’ve been told time and again that it’s something we cannot escape. But make it a habit to surround yourself with beautiful things. I find it therapeutic to:

1. Be surrounded by jolly friends and spend time catching up over coffee / ice cream sundae / Monopoly
2. Shop
3. Listen to good music
4. Watch movies
5. Look at celebrity photos. My recent favorites are Mary Kate Winstead, Maggie Grace, Angel Locsin, Angelica Panganiban, Anne Curtis, and Marian Rivera (as my officemates would attest! Haha) I choose the best ones and put them together in a folder named “Look Book.”


Maybe I’m writing this because it’s part of starting the year right. Maybe it’s time to relax and reclaim my Me Time.  Or, maybe because it’s time to sever connections with things that threaten our bright disposition.

Follow your heart. Choose to keep relationships that genuinely make you happy.

Popular Posts