Why I Love to Teach

Dear Diary,

Recalling how studious I used to be in school, it doesn't come as a surprise that I considered teaching as a profession. Yes, I may not be an Education major, but that longing to impart important things to learners and the love for learning itself have always been there.

It may be weird, but I go to great lengths to play the role, starting off with playing titsir-titseran even without playmates to act as students. I had this small chalkboard and my favorite topic was the digestive system. It would be complete with a drawing and explanation.

As I had my first job in the government TV channel, trainees worked with me and my producers. They asked for pieces of advice when it came to pre-production (including script writing), production and editing. I found it fulfilling whenever someone said something like "Ganoon pala gawin. Salamat po."

Even as I pursued another career outside of traditional media, my final job assignment led me to training fellow employees. The calling, I described here. Our work processes frequently changed back then, so keeping yourself abreast with updates had been a constant demand. Cutting the long story short, the experience trained me to be a trainer.

Then the desire to be part of the academe came. Equipped with a post-grad degree, willingness to learn, and optimism, I was received by the Paulinian community. Handling students from different programs but mostly from BA Communication had been an exhilarating ride. So why do I love to teach?

Not because people will thank you for it. You should not expect them to say thanks. Not because you will be appreciated by institutions. I heard many stories of unappreciated ones. Not because it will be financially rewarding. I heard of those who are "overworked yet underpaid." Not because you know everything.

But because personally, I don't want to be static. Teaching stimulates me to change, be steps ahead, practice thoughtful class preparation and error correction, and most of all, to pass the knowledge and values on. The things learned from school and experience.

It doesn't have to be within the four walls of the classroom with the job title of College Instructor or Trainer. I may take on different jobs, but teaching will undoubtedly be a part of me, always.

Comments

Popular Posts