How Do You Turn Your Back from a Setback?

I think it would be nice to focus my birth month reflection on my in-between-jobs experience, the waiting game, identity, and faith.

Have you ever given up something that you loved doing for what you have thought was a bigger calling, responsibility, and opportunity? Ever gone through a really demanding process, only to find out that you were not informed of other requirements that would disqualify you? Did you take a calculated risk, thinking that you did so well throughout, only to discover you were misled to a dead end?

If you have a limited time to finish reading this post, I have one good piece of advice: It's true when they say "It's okay not to be okay." Go ahead and doubt for a minute: Am I good at what I do? Will I get back on track? After that, keep going. DO NOT let your doubt cloud your self concept. You are strong. You want excellence. You will never give up.

I've started working since I graduated college. I'm not used to being idle and instead, experienced juggling work and study. So what happens when I experience being unemployed for one month? Honestly, I tried to be productive and appreciative of the free time, doing the following:

1. Cleaning the house, cooking, selling items that we no longer need
2. Watching on Netflix, reading books, malling
3. Job hunting (and yes, since 2008, I had my fair share of unnoticed and unsuccessful job applications too)
4. Online teaching

I felt that as a former Iskolar ng Bayan, the jobs I choose should contribute to the society and hone my communication skills. But even with a college and MA degree, combined with more than eight years of work experience, things didn't come easy. For some jobs I chose, I was not chosen.

But like what I told a close friend, "Sometimes the things that are meant for us are not the ones we deliberately plan." How did I manage to handle a setback with grace?

1. Constant prayer (from the start to the end of the process) - I remember saying "Lord, if this is not what you want me to do, I'd accept it. But if this is for me, please grant me the strength to do well."

2. Self-confidence - I believed there would be other opportunities, and better ones. I just had to keep looking.

3. Being choosy - Still, I did not settle or apply for jobs I didn't see myself being into.

Now, I'm happy where the events led me to- thankful and not regretting my decisions.

It was indeed a happy birthday.

Comments

Popular Posts