Once A Teacher

About ten days ago, I was invited to be interviewed by my former students in St. Paul University for their thesis. Right away, I recalled the promise I made way back in college: That when it's my turn to be invited, I'd always want to say yes. One, it's difficult to get a YES from potential interviewees. Two, it's an honor that they are considering me for an expert opinion.



So I met Yssa, Mae, and Jewel. Just like with my thesis partner Meline more than a decade ago, they're studying primetime news. Before answering the first question, I issued a disclaimer that I'm not a news producer but I could definitely provide insights as part of the audience who had experience in media production and knowledge of media theories.

After the interview, we also had the chance to catch up about their lives in the college. May kurot sa puso kapag naaalala ko ang pagtuturo, kapag nakikita ko ang mga readings sa bahay, ang yearbook, at ang statement of purpose na ipinasa ko noong mag-uumpisa pa lang ako sa grad school.

Pero andito na 'ko, nagpasyang magpalit ng larangan at masaya na rin. 'Di rin namang masasabing nasayang ang aking pinag-aralan o pagtuturo dahil hinubog ng mga ito kung ano man ang meron ako ngayon. Lahat ng ito, ipinagpapasalamat ko.

Sa huli, naluha ako nang yumakap na ang dati kong estudyante para magpaalam sabay sabing namiss niya talaga ako. Ang tangi kong nasabi, "I missed you too. Take care and I know you'll do great."

Comments

Popular Posts