Good News About My Eye Health

In February, I had a series of eye tests. It all started when I visited an opthalmologist to check if the glasses I've worn since more than a year ago are still good. Yes, they are. However, I frequently feel a foreign body sensation in my eyes so he prescribed an eyedrop solution. He also did a tonometry, using an instrument to measure intraocular pressure. Though still normal, mine was on the high end.

He advised that since two symptoms were present (pressure, "malalim na ugat sa mata"), two procedures could rule out glaucoma, a condition that can lead to blindness.

So I underwent what for me was like a difficult exam: Perimetry. It's for checking peripheral vision (lawak ng paningin), and I was asked to focus on the center light and press the switch whenever a star-like object would appear anywhere on the sides, top and bottom. It was tricky for me because one, it's hard to keep staring at the center and two, sometimes I wondered whether it was a real spark or just my imagination!



Next was OCT of RNFL, which just took photographs of my eyes.


And this month, the verdict: Free from Glaucoma! What a relief. Doc saw mostly greens on my OCT, and no black spots except for the normal blind spot on my Perimetry result. Doing tonometry once again, he said the pressure improved from 19 to 17.


And so I'm thankful that there's nothing to worry about. That what my doctor noticed as an unusual in my eye is just a physiological characteristic that runs in the family.

Comments

Popular Posts