1st Anniversary as a TV Writer

My dad always inspired me to have improvements, not deterioration, in every script written. There was that lingering worry that increasing quantity might lead to decreasing quality and lately, things have not been easy in the office. The heavy load has been killing us softly. Meanwhile, the show must go on.

Lately, I’ve been thinking of disposing the hard copies and doing a soft catalogue instead. By compiling guests list, I can simply ctrl + F a certain topic and easily identify the date of the full script. Dad came up with the idea of a script archive made for recycling in future episodes. “Sinong guest? Anong nature of business? Kuha ka sa 4th layer, 2nd column, July 23, 2008.” He he he… De-kahon lahat! At kung mas tedious pa ang paghahanap, bakit kaya ‘di na lang gumawa ng bago?

While cleaning up my room, I was reminded of the things accomplished within one year through NBN:
• The DOH segment “Todoh K: Todo Kalusugan Na!” in One Morning and some other features
• She Ka episodes on Mondays and Thursdays
• Opening and closing ceremonies of Voyage to the Future, an international project for environment education
• Episodes of At Your Service and two episodes of Abante Pilipinas
• The AVP of the AFP Medical Center which our team produced within a week, while I was sick (the time when I had to write despite vomiting and LBM)

I love the routine of writing the spiels, doing voiceover, supervising the editing and orienting co-workers before the program starts. There are occasional conflicts but they can be survived. I appreciate my job and the fulfilment it brings after every show.

Upon reaching 10 years and the status of being a veteran writer, I might just find myself typing without looking at the keyboard and monitor, while carrying on a conversation: “Anong ulam sa canteen? Uy, masarap ‘yun ah!” The image of Kuya Erwin pops in.

Suddenly I realize why I insist on piling scripts. The act of keeping provides a reassurance that I chose the right track. Because whenever I revisit something, I like what is there. Through it, I can always check on myself. Am I losing inspiration? And if so, I remind myself of the purpose if it all: God put me here. And this is what I wanted.

Popular Posts