Books for Less

I may be an impulsive* buyer, but a wise one at that.

From the likes of “Flat Belly Diet,” “Food Smart,” to “The Girlfriends’ Guide to Pregnancy” (a fun read even if you aren’t pregnant or planning to be soon) from Booksale, I got my next set of pre-owned books from Books for Less at an amazing price!

I almost ignored the man who stands along Commonwealth Avenue giving out coupons. But guess what… I got books worth Php 1,014 for just half the price! The deal is: 50% OFF for a purchase worth 1,000 or 30% OFF with no minimum amount required. Being the curious one, I went to check if it’s valid. May, the lady in charge of the store, even had to make phone calls and text messages to verify with their office. Like an investigator, she asked me “Saan n’yo po nakuha?,” “Kailan?,” “Isa lang ba ang binibigay nung tao?” The questioning had also been repetitive that I almost grew impatient. But with the many good books around, I managed to stay and simply told her to take her time validating it… While thinking of course, what would need to be done if the coupon doesn’t entitle me to the promo. Walk away empty-handed, as if nothing happened?

But in about thirty minutes, she announced the good news. Here are the titles I grabbed:

1. Waiter Rant (by The Waiter, Steve Dublanica) – The cover caption says “…a painfully funny, excruciatingly true account of the waiter’s life. You will never look at your waiter the same way again – and will never tip less than 20%.” I liked the sections on Tips on How to Be a Good Customer (i.e. Never say “I’m friends with the owner.” Restaurant owners don’t have any friends. This marks you as a clueless poseur the moment you walk in the door.) and Ways to Tell You’re Working in a Bad Restaurant (i.e. Management hires you the moment you say “I’m looking for a job.”). The Waiter says “80% of customers are nice people just looking for something to eat. The remaining 20%, however, are socially maladjusted psychopaths.” Dad warned that reading this would prevent me from moving ahead, as anyone would die laughing. @ P 248.00

2. Advertising: Principles and Practice (by Wells, Burnett, and Moriarty) – The glossy 600-page book published by Pearson Education in 2003 shows how theory is applied in recent times to produce effective advertising. @398.00

3. The Media of Mass Communication (by John Vivian) – The 510-page book which was also published by Pearson Education in 2003 has twenty chapters organized into three sections: The Mass Media, Mass Messages, and Mass Media Issues. It also comes with a CD and online chapters for Visual Messages and Media and Political Systems. @348.00

Wondering how I got the discount with a total of Php 994? Well, the ladies at the bookstore did me a favor of finding a children’s book worth ten pesos: The Tailor of Gloucester. Good thing it wasn’t sold out yet.

What makes this an amazing deal is that you already get books at low prices in the first place and on top of that, you get 50% OFF. They are also offering gift certificates with the same offer. Makes a nice Christmas gift, huh?


*Impulsive – Like, suddenly having a foot spa while on my way home from work

Popular Posts