An Apple A Day

For my first blog post this year, I decided to look at my relationship with technology.

I rarely saw myself as tech savvy. Through the years, I have succumbed to issues with processors, power supply, display, internet speed, computer shop hang-ups, and many others. It could be said that I don't really have an affinity for computers and gadgets.

However, these gadgets closely surround me everyday. By chance and by choice, they came into my life and took a hold of it, no matter how I try to deny what's happening. "I can live without gadgets." "Could we go back to the time when people simply agreed to meet at a certain time and place, without having the need for text or instant messaging?" "I love shopping but I'd rather not spend on gadgets." "I am not as hooked on social media as the others." These statements are true, or so I thought.

As someone who's not really into gadgets, here are the ones I actively use:

1. 2-year-old iPhone 4S (a reflection of loyalty and simplicity?)
2. iPad mini
3. iPad Air 2
4. Acer Aspire E 14
5. 6-year-old Sony Walkman

It's not really much about what one has, but what one does with them and the amount of time spent. So what do I usually do with technology?

1. Word documents for work and pastime
2. Powerpoint presentations
3. Excel sheets for grading students
4. E-mails
5. Facebook and Instagram (not into Twitter these days)
6. Photos (I don't use filters)
7. Magazines through Zinio (I just looove having digital copies with free access, plus viewing them with Retina display)
8. Plants vs Zombies 2
9. E-books
10. Grab
11. Zomato
12. Waze

So yes, I only got the basics. But I still get surprised with how much time I could spend with a gadget. Could this be a case of unconsciously getting addicted? Notwithstanding, by the dinner table, I would remind my father to put down his phone so we could start eating.

Despite this love-hate relationship with technology, I still found myself working in a digital advertising company and now in a university where I teach ICT.

Popular Posts