A Happy Me

You might as well call me “merry June.” There are a lot of things that make me genuinely happy, however simple they may be. My mom recounts how she comforted me when I was still a little child. Whenever I cry, a cotton bud is enough to soothe my feelings. (There goes my portrait where I’m holding one, while my father was running after me at Fort Santiago.) Thus she describes me as mababaw ang kaligayahan. I believe this still holds true for now.

From my childhood, Sundays have consistently been happy days for me. I would go to church, go shopping or boating, experience carnival rides, and eat a superb dinner with my family. We never let a weekend pass without taking some time out and enjoying each other’s company. We are A FAMILY. This, above all, makes me happy. And whenever I am alone with God, my heart is filled with gratitude. After the day’s laughter, He makes the happiness last.

Now, a bit of loneliness. There was a time when I really got a lot of kick out of this guy. His smile. An hour spent with him at Baguio after taking a trip for six hours or more. A bouquet of white roses symbolizing a fresh start for both of us. Those really made my heart jump. But this happiness ended before we could pursue our plans of getting married. It’s okay, because breaking up was really the right thing to do at the moment. A change of heart transpired: I managed to move forward and be appreciative of more important things. I admit though, that I have undergone a period of slow healing. This process, sadly, involved repressed memories and, some restrained eating too. *chuckle

Speaking of the more important things, I spent last night with Mai. After some pseudo-coercion, she joined Hiyas ng Distrito Uno representing Barangay Maharlika. I sat beside her sisters Kaye and Elaine plus their special guy friends and close relatives. The Talents Night was held at the Trinoma activity center.



As to my other “happy things”, I’m including a picture of my younger sister here. What a thrill it could have been if she’s still living right now. Did you know that AJ is a lot prettier than her ate? The most heartwarming moment was when she looked at me while I was feeding her. And one night when I laid down beside her, she suddenly put her arm around me.



Prof Susan Ortega and her daily dose of life stories are also included in my list of things that made me happy. I saw myself in her: light-spirited, friendly, sexy, beautiful, and a natural comedienne. There’s just no way to find out if she also laughed at these characteristics that I have written in one of our essays. What I can remember is a wish for something that would make me truly happy – a grade of 1.00 in her class and guess what... I got it.

Popular Posts