Old vs New

Which is better: To fix what you already have or to buy a new one? When dealing with people, how do you know if it’s no longer worthwhile to salvage the relationship?

It’s a lot easier with inanimate objects. I got this penchant for keeping old articles and souvenirs. Even my hand involuntarily favors used pens over new ones. My infatuation to the idea of recycling very well reflects the fact that it takes a long while before I could let go of things and ideas. Same is true for friendships. I love vintage (but of course, that doesn’t stop new treasures from coming). Mai and I, who are best of friends starting in grade two, are still alive. Then came my high school friends whom I still treat as the most fun people to be with. Rap says that those who stick with their HS pals are mostly people who were able to form much of their identity during those four years. On the other hand, there are late bloomers who did not appreciate HS life that much but instead embraced their college memories.

I also did find wonderful friends in college, and I hold fond memories of the university. Funny how even some of the friendships that have taken root in HS have only been enriched at this period of my life. Ryan and Paul are good examples (and now they’re blaming themselves for reading this blog). But dad and I are still maintaining that HS life is the most exhilirating ride of all.









There’s a saying that when God empties your hand, He might be preparing you to receive something greater.

Though better things or great people may come at the expense of old belongings or past relationships, I know deep within that traces of what used to be shall always be part of ME. I am glad for the choices I’ve made. Sometimes, yes, some people would make it seem like we don’t have a choice. But we still get to choose how we are going to feel, right? Only feelings matter.

Good night, dear diary. See? Things may change on the surface, but I’m still keeping you. I am determined to keep you.

Popular Posts