The Love Pearl

Though mom and I were not able to join dad in his trip to Puerto Princesa, Palawan, I was almost there with all the pictures he sent and the pasalubong he brought. Aside from the souvenir shirts, bracelets, and the packaged fresh seafoods which are very affordable in the province, he also gave me a special gift.

In a box were a necklace, pendant, and a can. There’s a line which goes: “Real love is gestated for long just as a pearl in its shell, only expressed to the unique person.” It asks you to make a wish before opening, with the following pearl colors corresponding to gifts: White for health, cream for happiness, peach for love, lavender for wisdom, and gold for wealth.

After making my wish (just like a child), I opened the sealed can and cut open the clam to take out the pearl. I imagined that to one’s dismay, a person may end up not finding any pearl inside! But I did get the love pearl inside the mollusc. I wiped and put it inside the pendant. My dad is really thoughtful!

The fresh water pearl is said to take three to five years to gestate inside the mother mussel until the diameter reaches 6.5 to 7.5 millimeters.

Popular Posts