What Easter Means to Me

I remember a priest saying that anytime is a holy time. How many Holy Weeks have we observed in this lifetime? How many Easter Sundays have passed? Have we actually prepared ourselves to receive God's light? Or do we continue to live in the darkness of the tomb?

This year's Easter has been particularly so meaningful as I've gone through the biggest spiritual trials recently. I can say that I am so blessed with friends who helped me emerge victorious. Often, we know the right things to do but we need other people whom we trust to speak to us and say those reminders that we needed to hear.

I also recall in our class that ethical decision-making is not just a matter of having a good moral character as most of us think. Often, no matter how strong we think we are, we still arrive at the crossroads of our lives. Truly, it is not just a matter of deciding between right and wrong, good or bad, but by knowing how to stand by our chosen paths.

And so like many other believers, I also came to a point of hopelessness. But God's words always came to the rescue. Maybe the most trying times made me feel that everything was hanging by a thread and it was either I keep holding on or lose it all. I thought I lost it all.

But we are still fortunate to be given a chance at a new life. I took the opportunity to speak with a priest on Maundy Thursday and he was kind enough to listen and advise.

The Sunday homily centered on Easter as the most important occasion in the Christian calendar. It is the very reason of Christianity and the efficacy of our Sacraments including Reconciliation.

How do you feel when you are given another chance after a severed relationship? You make a promise to God and yourself that you will turn away from the cause of His suffering.

I must admit that I have not gone to confession for about ten months. I came to thinking that once and for all, I must be able to pass through at least a week without committing the same sins. But Father said that this is the normal spiritual itinerary of Christians. We repent, we fall again, but we should not hesitate to come back, confess our sins, and keep connected with Him.

We are not perfect. But we have a God who embraces us with our imperfection and if we cling to Him, we shall not lack.

Happy Easter!

Popular Posts