Parisian Chic: A Style Guide We Love

In this book, Ines de la Fressange talks about a style that looks effortless. Who would want to appear as if he or she is trying hard? We've heard, time and again, that less is more. Giving pointers on clothes, shoes, bags, accessories, makeup and grooming, home, restaurants, and hotels, Ines injected memos such as "Better one pair of really beautiful shoes than a roomful of duds!" and "Wear full pants and skirts with tight-fitting tops, and tight trousers and skirts with loose-fitting tops."

I started at one in the afternoon, grabbed the book lazily, and found myself reading through the last pages at three. At the end, I realized why my friend brings the book to wherever she stays. An important point for wardrobe, especially for space savers, is to focus on the basics (blazer, V-neck navy cashmere sweater, tank top, pants in neutral colors, little black dress). The goal is to not crowd your closet (see my related post here) and to easily find what you need everyday. Storage is our big issue now that we've just moved. But even before, I already took photos of all my bags and shoes with my phone so I can just browse quickly when dressing up.

Speaking of utilizing spaces very well, let's talk about the bathroom and powder area. Ines gave practical tips for organizing one's home and beauty products. To avoid mess and uncoordinated colors on the packaging of products, transfer them to nice containers. Make it a daily habit to moisturize, care for your teeth, be clean, and smell nice.

A common thread here is the idea that comfort comes first. I haven't actually been crazy about a certain style just because it looked good on someone else. (Although I admit that when it comes to footwear, I'm often tempted to buy high heels because of my height.) A Parisian also chooses something that will last a good number of years, if not a lifetime, rather than prioritizing brands or preferring screaming logos.

Thanks, Riva, for sharing the book with me.

Comments

Popular Posts