Bias for Action

Nine days before we say hello to 2020, I think it's good to write about this concept that my former boss and friend Marj shared: Bias for action. She mentioned it in our chat after I talked about choosing a "can do" attitude over fear of not meeting expectations. When you want something, you step up for it.



I remember when I made a comeback to the BPO setting, starting over again as an agent and Marj asked me to make a major decision: "Are you willing to take the risk?" I replied that it was a risk worth taking. She used a phrase related to bias for action that is, calculated risk taking. I've been fine since.

In a nutshell according to this article, a bias for action is choosing action over inaction. Instead of overthinking, you act. This to me would be a nice paradigm shift as we welcome the new year. For someone who considers herself a planner or someone who wants things organized before taking action, wouldn't it be nice to be more of a doer? It doesn't mean we will be careless in our actions, but it just puts more emphasis on action rather than the images in our heads. Preparing oneself is important, but let not your worries lead you to doing nothing.

We have a translation for this idea: 'Pag gusto, may paraan. 'Pag ayaw, maraming dahilan.

What if I'm not fit for the job?
What if I don't deserve his/her love?
What if I fail?

But what are you really scared of? To be judged when you fail? To fall so hard, you won't be able to get up? Or perhaps you just wanted to settle in a situation that's messed up so you invented the idea of "not deserving something better"?

Essentially, if you want to truly live, live not for the ghosts of the past. Make it work for the present. After identifying your weaknesses, failures, and problems, the next logical thing to do is act on your opportunities. You don't even have to start BIG, so long as you start NOW.

Comments

Popular Posts