A Separate Reality (Further Conversations with Don Juan)

by Carlos Castańeda

1. The most effective way to live is as a warrior. Worry and think before you make any decision, but once you make it, be on your way free from worries or thoughts.

2. We learn to think about everything and then we train our eyes to look as we think about the things we look at. We look at ourselves already thinking that we are important.

3. Everything is equal and therefore unimportant… There is no way for me to say that my acts are more important than yours, or that one thing is more essential than another.

4. I personally don’t like to be sad, so whenever I witness something that would ordinarily make me sad, I simply shift my eyes and see it instead of looking at it. But when I encounter something funny I look and I laugh.

5. To be victorious and to be defeated are equal.

6. To like people or to be liked by people is not all one can do as a man.

7. To be defeated was a condition of life which was unavoidable. Men were either victorious or defeated and depending on that, they became persecutors or victims. These two conditions were prevalent as long as one did not “see”; “seeing” dispelled the illusion of victory, or defeat, or suffering.

Popular Posts